Thursday, July 16, 2009

Preterm excitement... again

What a week...

On Monday I started having contractions in the car on the way to the appointment with the midwife. Well at least I was headed to see the right person! Things got more uncomfortable and we all decided after an internal check that we should all go to the hospital to the childbirth triage. I have been very fortunate to have such great midwives each time I have been pregnant.

We got to triage and started to get monitored. I was seen by an OB and was attached to all the necessary equipment. I admit I was a little nervous at the prospect of going into active labour at this point in the pregnancy again but figured well I've done it twice before so what the heck.

While we were in we had a scare as well. The baby's heart rate suddenly dropped from the 150s to high 70s. All of a sudden I had everyone in my little room contorting me into different positions, I was given an oxygen mask and they brought in the portable ultra sound. Baby came round and everything has been fine since then. No explanation as to why that happened but we are glad that we made it through. This incident sparked talk of emergency c-section and I was given a catheter so I did not have get up any more. The contractions were not stopping and were regular and getting more intense. Drew and I were moved into a labour and delivery room where I was too be monitored for four hours and have my own personal nurse. :) The contractions were still regular. I wasnt allowed to have anything to eat or drink for that whole time which was rough since I had not eaten since 2 pm and it was now 11 pm!

We made it through the 4 hours without incident and with no progression in dilation of the cervix. As a result I was in a lot of pain in my abdomen, back and other areas where things had been “poked and prodded”.

The next day I was told that I would be staying at the hospital for observation for 24 hours. They called this a “forced rest”. I was able to meet with my midwife that morning too. My care had been transferred to the OB the night before and it will stay that way until the birth is over. I had a day of fetal monitoring, resting, served meals (yay!), tests, antibiotics and a visit from family. By night time I was a little bored and very anxious for Drew to come by so I could have someone to talk to. Through all this baby was doing excellent and the OB was very happy with the monitoring.

That night I was able to get a few hours uninterrupted sleep until I had a reaction to the antibiotics. We got that cleared up and I was able to get back to sleep.

After breakfast the OB came to see me to tell me I could go home after a few more tests. She then told me that I was to be on “light duty” at home. Which, when clarified, meant bed rest without the bed. I also was scheduled for an ultrasound that morning. I got some more pictures!

So here we are with members of our families taking turns being here for a few days to look after the kids and kick my butt if I try to do anything. I didnt actually think this rest thing was going to mean much until I tried to lift a bottle of juice (it was the BIG bottle of cranberry) and went into contractions. I now see that this is serious and have decided to do what I am told.

Thank so much to our family members rearranging their lives to come here and for our supportive friends making time to come over and help all of us out. You guys are a blessing from God and we wont forget that.

I'll try to post when I can but I wont be taking phone calls or answering much email until I start feeling a bit better. Thank you for all the good wishes and prayers.

We have a new gestational record! I am now 36 weeks! Never before achieved... and since this is the last pregnancy not again... yay! :)

1 comment:

mommy2monkeyNgobo said...

You all know we're always here for you guys. Can't wait to meet the newest Paterson :) Soon, for your sake?