Monday, May 14, 2007

Just thinking here...

Over the past couple days we have been doing a lot of things here and at the hospital. Most of those things are making sure two kids are fed and clothed and clean and happy (for the most part). Lilly has been having some tantrums when she is tired but she has had a lot to deal with since Thursday! Today seems to be going better for her so we will sit around here at home and get her back on her routine and spend some time with her. She is very interested in everything "baby Aidan" and wants to know what he is doing when she is near him. Today in order to get her dressed we had to lay baby next to her so she could compare her hands to his and Mommy's while Daddy got her dressed. It was very interesting.

I am having my reflective moments too - one of those things you do when you are up at 3am feeding a baby and trying not to fall asleep. There are a couple that stick out in my mind since last night so I figured I'd share...

When our nephew Riley was born (5 years ago!) our BIL Pete sent out an email to everyone announcing Riley's arrival and he also put in something that always stuck with me. Since Lilly was born and now Aidan I can see why he did it. Here is what Pete wrote back then as a new parent, I dont have that email anymore but here is what I remember:

28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11 28:30


The second thing was something our friend Lori T. said to me after her first son was born as we were sitting around in her office. I was still unsure at that point if children were in the picture for us. I asked Lori how she felt about having a baby now that the pregnancy and birth were over and she was just back off a few weeks or months mat. leave. She stopped what she was doing and simply said, "It is the best thing I have ever done."

It is true, we will carry burdens & give rest to our kids and they are the best thing we will ever do. We just have to remember that when they are screaming at us and we are so bone tired and frustrated we cant see straight!